Guiding a government research agency to accelerate healthcare innovation in the UK
International benchmarking | Government Strategy | Best Practices Assessment
- A government agency for research and innovation funding, wanted to assess the state of the UK’s health innovation sector against international markets.
- It was keen to conduct an international benchmarking exercise to assess the critical success factors, draw best practices and adopt appropriate health innovation measures in the country.
To benchmark the UK’s health innovation sector against international markets.
The client outlined two key reasons for selecting RocSearch:
- Our proven capabilities in benchmarking and best practice studies.
- Our previous successfully executed engagements with international governments and associated public bodies.
Approach and Methodology
- Our strategic research team defined the key innovation sectors in health, prevalent globally and in the UK and also assessed the key drivers in the private sector as well as the public sector. We benchmarked the UK’s health landscape against international markets, covering both developed as well as emerging markets and shortlisted relevant themes based on the cross-pollination of practices and a global growth perspective.
Based on a comprehensive benchmarking analysis of the UK’s health landscape with global markets, we shortlisted intersecting themes relevant from a cross-pollination of practices and global growth perspective.
- We reviewed the UK’s standing in the healthcare innovation space against 20 selected countries.
- The research funding landscape in each of these countries along with the associated regulatory framework, covering both public (government) and private (VC) financing was also covered as a part of detailed country profiles.
- We shared recommendations and best practices driven from a detailed comparative analysis of the health innovation and research ecosystems of key global economies based on the insights drawn from the detailed profiles created.
- The study clearly brought out the UK’s key differentiators which further encouraged it to build on its key strengths such as its R&D infrastructure and continue progressing with healthcare disruption.
- It guided the client to address the existing gaps in the UK’s healthcare ecosystem, adopt new technologies and assess potential international collaboration opportunities to accelerate healthcare innovation in the country.
- The output helped the agency identify UK’s health research priorities, create a public funding ecosystem and develop a roadmap for the country’s health innovation.
The study guided the client to build on its R&D infrastructure and adopt critical measures to accelerate healthcare innovation in the country.