Building a pipeline of bolt-on deals in the Asian biopharma space for a UK mid-market PE firm
Market mapping | Target screening | Valuation analysis
- The portfolio team of a top UK-based buyout firm was looking to actively pursue a blend of organic and inorganic growth strategies for a clinical research business in its portfolio.
- It sought to map the market for potential bolt-on opportunities and analyse the macroeconomic characteristics of its current end-markets in Asia.
To map the biopharmaceutical market for identifying bolt-on acquisition opportunities in Asia
The client outlined two key reasons for selecting RocSearch:
- Our ability to rapidly deploy customised teams with the necessary skills.
- Our proven M&A capabilities and flexible client-centric engagement models.
Approach and Methodology
- Our team of private equity consultants liaised with the portfolio group of the client and the President of the clinical research business (portfolio asset) directly to execute the study.
The study mapped 50+ bolt-on opportunities that met the portfolio company’s investment criteria across the key markets of India, China, Japan and South Korea.
- For each shortlisted opportunity, a brief profile was created that gave an overview of the target’s business, financial performance, management, ownership, end-markets, geographic presence and strategy.
- The team used a combination of market-leading proprietary databases and industry relevant public sources (associations, events, journals, etc.) to map the pipeline of bolt-on opportunities.
- A detailed dashboard capturing parameters such as GDP (current and per capita), demographics, healthcare expenditure, healthcare infrastructure, healthcare workforce, international aid for 25 countries across Asia over a 25-year historic period.
- Successfully supported the objectives of a board-level discussion between the portfolio company and buyout firm on key deliverables – extensive health care-related data analysis and pipeline of bolt-on opportunities.
Our work enabled the private equity owners and the portfolio company to plan next steps and execute their growth strategy.