Augmenting digital marketing strategies of portfolio companies of a European private equity firm
Portfolio support | Digital marketing strategy | B2B Survey
- As part of its value creation strategy, a European PE firm wanted to significantly augment the digital marketing strategy of its portfolio companies.
- As a first step, it was looking to understand the current state of digital marketing practices of the portfolio companies, identify the gaps and guide them on some of the industry best practices and tools that could be deployed for achieving greater customer reach.
- To achieve these objectives, the PE firm wanted to conduct a workshop of the marketing heads of the portfolio companies and as a pre-requisite for the workshop, it planned to conduct a detailed survey of the marketing heads.
To improve the digital marketing capability & effectiveness of portfolio companies.
The client outlined two key reasons for selecting RocSearch:
- Our ability to rapidly deploy nimble teams, adept at conducting surveys and interviews with experts.
- Our flexible client-centric engagement models.
Approach and Methodology
- Our investment advisory team designed and conducted an online survey of marketing heads of nearly 50 diversified portfolio companies of the PE firm, to assess their current level of digital marketing preparedness.
The survey gathered insights into the portfolio companies’ digital & content marketing initiatives, gap areas, performance measurement metrics and short-term marketing goals.
- The survey revealed the prevailing trend among the portfolio companies and provided a rare insight into the need-gaps. It was followed by an assessment of the digital marketing maturing path that the companies had to undertake to achieve their desired customer reach and share of wallet.
- We shared insights on how the fast-evolving digital marketing landscape was driving business growth, customer priorities in the B2B and B2C environments and how the use of data and advanced analytics was disrupting the complete value chain.
- We also presented case studies on how various successful B2B businesses, such as D&B, HP, Qlik and Qualcomm, had benefited from their digital marketing strategies.
- Based on our survey analysis, the PE firm conducted an insightful workshop with the marketing heads of portfolio companies and effectively addressed the key gap areas in their digital marketing practices.
- The learnings from case studies and industry best practices played a vital role in driving the digital marketing efforts of portfolio companies.
The study helped the client identify strategic gaps, industry best practices and digital tools that could be deployed by the respective marketing heads.