Supporting Bolt-on Acquisition of Biopharmaceutical Companies
For a UK-based mid-market buyout firm
- The portfolio team of a top UK-based buyout firm was looking to actively pursue a blend of organic and inorganic growth strategies for a clinical research business in its portfolio.
- It therefore wanted to map the market for bolt-on opportunities and analyse the macroeconomic characteristics of its current end-markets in Asia.
To map the biopharmaceutical market for identifying bolt-on acquisition opportunities in Asia
The client outlined two key reasons for selecting RocSearch:
- Our ability to rapidly deploy customised teams with the necessary skills
- Our proven M&A capabilities and flexible client-centric engagement models
Approach and Methodology
- Our team of private equity consultants liaised with the portfolio group of the client and the President of the clinical research business (portfolio asset) directly to execute the study.
Across the key markets of India, China, Japan and South Korea, the study mapped 50+ bolt-on opportunities that met the client’s investment criteria.
- For each shortlisted opportunity, a brief profile was created that gave an overview of the target’s business, financial performance, management, ownership, end markets, geographic presence and strategy.
- The team used a combination of market-leading proprietary databases and industry relevant public sources (associations, events, journals, etc.) to map the pipeline of bolt-on opportunities.
- In-depth discussion of key deliverables (Healthcare statistics and pipeline of bolt-on opportunities) during the portfolio company’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) with the Senior Partners of the buyout firm
- A detailed dashboard capturing parameters such as GDP (current and per capita), demographics, healthcare expenditure, healthcare infrastructure, healthcare workforce, international aid for 25 countries across Asia over a 25-year historic period
Our work enabled the private equity owners and portfolio company to plan next steps and execute their growth strategy.