Supporting a global PE firm in its quest for a fast-growing pet foods business
Market mapping | Deal origination | Due Diligence
- The client, a UK-based Private Equity firm with a global asset portfolio, was looking to deploy its newly-raised fund and was on a hunt for growth pockets and opportunities for consolidation.
- While the firm had a strong Consumer sector portfolio, it had been scouting for opportunities in the Pet Foods sector for a while.
- It sought an in-depth market map of the Pet foods sector among other focus sectors to zero in on the best acquisition opportunities.
To identify growth pockets and opportunities for consolidation in the pet foods market
The client outlined two key reasons for selecting RocSearch:
- Our ability to rapidly deploy customised teams with the necessary skills.
- Our experience in the FMCG sector and our flexible client-centric engagement models.
Approach and Methodology
- Our private equity consultants leveraged the proprietary RocEye deal origination platform and screened nearly 1,000 companies to map the pet food manufacturer’s competitive landscape in Europe.
- These targets were further shortlisted and detailed profiles were created for over 25 targets based on the client’s investment criteria.
Using our proprietary text analytics-based approach, the team also identified companies rumoured for sale and created strip profiles of all the immediately actionable opportunities.
- Each profile provided an overview of the target’s business, product & service offerings, end-market/species focus, geographic presence, ownership, financial performance, stated strategy and recent developments.
- Finally, a detailed analysis of the European Pet Foods market was conducted to identify key trends shaping the sector.
- The shortlisted investment-worthy opportunities and their insightful profiles paved way for productive discussions with potential targets followed by a successful acquisition.
- The study helped our client, one of the top mid-market buyout firms, save close to 600 hours’ worth of effort.
- An in-depth analysis of the Pet Foods market and a detailed examination of the industry drivers, trends and their mid to long-term impact on market players, guided the investment decision of the client.
Through our research and advisory services, the client’s investment team was able to quickly build its investment hypothesis and acquired one of the targets shortlisted in the study.