Guiding the mid-market fund strategy of a UK-based buyout firm
Competitive Fund Intelligence | Portfolio Benchmarking | Investor Conference Support
- A UK-based buyout firm wanted to track selected competing General Partners (GPs) and analyse their performance in the mid-market segment.
- It was looking to comprehensively map all GPs operating in the mid-market space or having a stated mid-market investment strategy.
To track and evaluate the performance of selected GPs operating in the mid-market segment in Europe.
The client outlined two key reasons for selecting RocSearch:
- Our proven investment research and advisory capabilities.
- Our expertise in providing competitive fund intelligence, portfolio benchmarking and investor conference support.
Approach and Methodology
- As a first step, our dedicated analyst team examined and prepared an outline of all the key data to be captured for the GP landscape in consultation with the client. We captured the size of operations, investment strategies, the performance of their mid-market focused funds and team structure (split between main investment team vs. mid-market funds across geographies) for over 50 GPs.
RocSearch comprehensively mapped out the private equity (PE) mid-market competitive landscape and profiled 50+ GPs, covering their size, investment strategies, fund performance and team structure.
- In addition, we analysed the geographic spread of their portfolio and categorised their mid-market investments by strategy, sector and geography.
- We prepared detailed profiles of all the Partners, capturing information such as sector allocated, hiring date, prior experience, deals they had been part of and their location.
- The project output included a detailed and visually formatted 200+ page PowerPoint deck of the PE mid-market competitive landscape and an Excel-based dashboard for analysis of the key quantitative trends of the market.
- The study enabled the client to gain an in-depth understanding of the competitive landscape of mid-market funds and narrow down its competition.
- The GP was also able to optimise its mid-market strategy in preparation for its new fundraisers.
- The client used our findings to create a compelling investor communication document.
The client narrowed down its competition, optimised its mid-market strategy for its new fundraisers and carved out a compelling investor conference pitch.