Opportunity assessment of the Japanese women apparel market
About the Client
- A European private equity player, with a diverse portfolio of investments across sectors globally.
- The portfolio includes financial services, healthcare and manufacturing sectors.
- The client wanted to understand the business dynamics of the Japanese women apparel market
- They sought RocSearch’s guidance on how to approach this market
Approach and Methodology
- The team gathered insights on the Japanese apparel market (particularly, its cyclic nature). They presented case examples of the progress and acceptability witnessed historically for other European brands
- An analysis of the key issues/challenges faced by the foreign brands was conducted through a unique blend of secondary research and focused group interviews
- RocSearch conducted a macroeconomic study, highlighting the spend on apparels and the market performance during downturns
- The inputs helped the client understand how to achieve high growth in a relatively flat market
- The study provided insights on critical activities to enable a foreign brand to succeed in Japan and the best channel for entry and distribution