A study on Italian distressed asset market to support business expansion
For a multinational law firm with a strong restructuring practice
- The client was seeking to expand its customer base for special situations, particularly restructuring services.
- It wanted to identify global investors aiming to invest in Italian distressed assets including non-performing loans or assets.
- It was targeting investor categories such as credit funds, distressed funds and security buyers willing to acquire financial claims made in order to carry out transactions of the selling companies.
To expand the client base for special situations and restructuring services in Italy
The client outlined two key reasons for selecting RocSearch:
- Our ability to rapidly deploy customised teams with the necessary skills
- Our proven capabilities in M&A due-diligence and flexible client-centric engagement models
Approach and Methodology
- We screened a universe of 1,000+ investors based in all the major developed economies around the world.
- Our private equity consultants extensively scanned publicly available secondary data sources for news flow and league tables of major distressed asset investors.
- We also studied thematic research papers from Big Four audit advisory firms, leading corporate finance and restructuring consultants and financial advisors to gather insights on the size and outlook of the Italian distressed asset investment market in addition to leading domestic and International investors.
RocSearch identified investors who historically made investments in Italian distressed assets or in the larger Western/Southern European region over the last 8-10 years and shortlisted 60 distressed asset investors.
- In addition to outlining and analysing key trends shaping the market, we captured major distressed asset investment transactions over the previous 5 years.
- As part of the study, we shared investor profiles for priority investors, covering investment criteria, distressed asset focussed funds, historical transactions in Italy, stated strategy/regional focus, key executives & their contact details.
- Opportunity assessment and identification of potential global investors in the Italian distressed asset market
- Insights on investor market activity and emerging trends in this space
- Insights from the study leveraged for client’s pre-engagement pitches and business development conversations with prospective investors
By discovering viable opportunities and identifying global investors we enabled our client to successfully expand its services in Italy.